kadebographicsstudio HOME Welcome to KADEBO's WORLD.BLOGSPOT.COM : First lady commends female mechanics for economic contribution

Thursday 23 January 2014

First lady commends female mechanics for economic contribution

female mechanic: Image by AP Photo/Rebecca Blackwell
The First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan, on Wednesday commended lady mechanics for contributing to the growth and development of the country.

Jonathan gave the commendation when the mechanics, who were led by the founder of the Lady Mechanics Initiative (LMI), Mrs Sandra Aguebor-Ekperuoh, visited the State House, in Abuja. Patience said the founder of the initiative had shown that with determination and commitment, "women can excel in whatever field of human endeavour they find themselves".


"I am informed that the initiative was established nine years ago and has so far trained over 700 female mechanics at various locations in Nigeria. "It is, therefore, heart-warming to note that through your NGO, you have been able to create a platform which has equipped young girls with skills. "In the skill that they have been trained, it is sure and certain that they could compete with their male counterparts in the field of auto mechanics,’" she said.


"This will go a long way in ensuring that these young girls, not only become self-reliant, but possibly become employers of labour.


"By this, they can also contribute their quota to the development and growth of the country economically," Patience added. She said the LMI would bridge the gender gap in a trade that was previously dominated by men, and urged Aguebor-Ekperuoh to remain focused.


The first lady encouraged her to sustain the partnership she had established with viable corporate bodies, "so as to expand your business prospects for the future". She called on well-meaning individuals and corporate bodies to emulate the gesture of the young lady.
Earlier, Aguebor-Ekperuoh recalled her growing-up, saying that she had to fight stereotype minds when she declared her intention to be a mechanic. "We are in four states now and we have trained more than 700 female mechanics who work in various auto companies and have other ladies training under them.


"I started out in 1985 and got my workshop in 1993 and decided to train out-of-school girls, orphans, commercial sex workers and other vulnerable girls.


"I will like to advise other young girls that your success is in you, and not in Europe.
"You can make it if you learn a skill and don’t have to depend on anyone before you feed," she said. The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) spoke to 24-year-old Sarah Pardu, one of the mechanics, who said she enjoys her job.


Pardu recalled how she almost quit being a mechanic when she accidentally cut her thumb fixing a car. "I remember I had an accident in my first week, while I was changing a tyre and ran away for 2 months. "But I convinced myself to return and I can tell you I have not regretted it.


"Now, I make enough to help my parents and my two younger ones at school.
"People queue for my services and insist I have to be the one to fix it, but some are still skeptical," she said.

No comments: